[ANNOUNCE] Girocco hosting infrastructure v1.0
I would like to announce Girocco-1.0, the first stable release of a universal Git project hosting infrastructure. You can get it at
You guessed right, Girocco is the software repo.or.cz runs at; however, compared to the past, it’s much cleaned up, cleanly packaged for easy re-deployment and fully configurable, thanks to sponsorship of Novartis and Novell. (Apologies for switching repo.or.cz to it and
releasing it one year later than it should’ve been done.)
Thus, you should be able to easily deploy a local Girocco instance at your site and configure it to do only what you want. Girocco allows both full push-based project hosting, or just mirroring and showing existing projects (either local or remote) – i.e. you can also use it just to collect scattered repositories of your developers and present them all at single place. The push-based hosting offers currently two models, chroot hosting and hooks-based permissions (for trusted environments) – it should be easy to add other models.
This way, Girocco might present an interesting alternative to Gitorious for people who prefer mirroring over full project hosting, prefer then rawer gitweb interface ;-), like the repo.or.cz simple forking model or want to make use of the GitHub-like flexible commit notifications mechanism.
(If you are actually going to deploy Girocco somewhere, it’s good to tell me so that I can take it into account to e.g. provide upgrade paths for future Girocco changes.)
If you are used to repo.or.cz, what’s new in Girocco at the user’s end?
- Friendlier homepage.
- Friendlier project/user management interface.
- Friendlier mirror cloning process (you can see the progress in your browser).
- Support for automatic Git mirroring of SVN repositories. (Only very simple, stdlayout only.)
- Support for new-commit notifications, both for push and mirror project modes:
- Get a notification to specified mail address(es)
- Get a notification by receiving a POST HTTP request with GitHub-compatible JSON payload
- Have repo.or.cz send commit notifications to the CIA service
- Much easier to contribute a change to Girocco if you are missing any feature on repo.or.cz!
Enjoy! (Original announcement.)